Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Standard Process 21 Day Cleanse....and a little Soap Box...

Hello!  I'm back with what seems to be my "quarterly post."

I wanted to blog about the challenge I am doing at the time called the "Standard Process 21 Day Purification Cleanse."

Before I start, I am going to explain a few reasons as to why on Earth I decided that it would be a FUN idea to cut ice-cream, eggs, peanut butter, cheese, etc., out of my life for 21 days.

For those that do not know, my husband and I opened up our own gym, the Performance Lab, in May 2015.  We have enjoyed every second and have been pleasantly surprised by the amazing people that keep coming through our door.  Owning my own gym has been a longtime dream of mine!  It is my goal to challenge each individual who comes to me.  Challenge them in a way that fits them and their current level.

I have been in the personal training business 10 years now.  My style and thought processes have evolved throughout that time, but my passion has always been there, growing even stronger each day. One thing I have been very constant about is that I will NEVER make/have a client/athlete do something that I would not do myself or have not already done.

My athletes would all joke and say that that leaves the door wide open because I am always up for a challenge :)

Lately, probably the past 3 months, I have allowed myself to "cheat eat" way more than I should.  So often, I hear comments from people:

"must be nice to eat whatever you want and stay skinny"

"I know I shouldn't eat this...it's not as healthy as what you eat"

When I am spotted eating out:
(gasp) "oh my gosh, you eat this kind of stuff?"

"what are you going to get? oh let me guess, a salad!?!"

The above are VERY FEW of the comments I hear all the time, but I don't want to sit here and type them all because it will ruin my good mood :)

Last I checked, there was NO pedestal beneath my 'biscuits.'.....so don't put me on one people!!!

I make great choices....most of the time....but I also indulge in my ice-cream/peanut butter combo quite often.........I love chips and dip.....I love whole wheat bread and I eat that in moderation.  I love chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven.....I love peanut butter and anything!  Not just PB&J.

With the start of our own business, our kids being busy, Gabe's schedule is nuts, my schedule is nuts, I have made poor choices and felt like crap.  I was getting 4 1/2 hours of sleep a night....I was short with my family....not as energetic as I would like to be around my clients, and the list goes on.

A very dear friend of mine called me up a couple weeks ago and said, "hey I have been looking into doing a cleanse.....I think I found one that is really good....doable....21 days....costs a little bit of money but I think it will be good."

Without asking ANY DETAILS....I seriously mean ZERO....because I trust this beautiful young lady and knew that she had a challenge and goal that she really wants to accomplish............me, KNOWING that I felt like crap and needed to make some changes......knowing that  I had never done a cleanse and needed to if I am ever going to recommend it to anyone......said, "SURE....Order me a kit....I trust you, let's do this."

A couple days later, she calls and said that our 21 Day SP Purification Cleanse had come in and that I could come by anytime to pick it up.

I'm thinking...Pick it up??  What, a book?

So I walk in and there sits a box.  A big box.  Full of cleansing supplements, protein shakes, whole food fiber, and a book on what to do and how to do this.  While handing me this box, she told me that we are not allowed to eat meat for at least 7 days and we cannot have eggs.....or nuts.....

My response (and I apologize now):  "WTF?...No eggs?  No meat?  No Nuts?........what am I supposed to eat for breakfast?!!  I eat eggs everyday!"

From that moment on:  I quickly realized that if I focused on what I could NOT have during this cleanse, that I would FAIL.

My next challenge and question was, when am I going to start this?  I had a crossfit competition that ensuing weekend, I have a college alumni weekend to attend and an alumni basketball game, ........but you know what?  I could sit here and continue to make up excuses because there is NOT A PERFECT TIME!  Besides, we are talking 21 measly days!  There are people in this world that would give anything to have a meal to eat once a day, let alone three!!!  I'm NOT being asked to starve but to cleanse my body....to rid my body of toxins....to replenish with good, whole foods.

All that being said....

Day 1- I felt like it was easy peasy.  I got this.

Day 2- I could rip someone's head off....possibly eat my arm like I would corn on the cob!  Once I've eaten, life is good!  I can already feel a difference in the afternoons b/c I am not crashing while I type on the computer!

Day 3- My back is really tight but otherwise, this is kind of fun!

Day 4- My back is a little better.  I would get pissed when I got hungry but because I had stuff prepared and cut up ahead of time, I could satisfy my hunger rather quickly.  I took pics of myself from different views so that I could see the difference 21 days of good eating would make for me.


Day 5- I'm still peeing like 'Sea Biscuit' but I. FEEL. AWESOME.  My face is clearing up and complexion is looking better.
I was hungry but still had the energy to tackle an insane workout...insane both mentally and physically, as I rowed 2500m while wearing a 20# vest....breaking every 250m to do 20 Burpees, WITH THE VEST ON!
I was a bit miserable following the workout but within 20-minutes I felt like a champ again.

Day 6- I feel amazing!  I really do!  I feel inspired to share my journey with you.  I took more pictures already just to compare.  I have lost 3 pounds.


Weight loss....not my goal with this cleanse.  I could seriously, to a point, care less about what I weigh.  All I want, is to look defined.  Feel strong.  Feel good in what I am wearing.  To be happy.  To be HEALTHY.  I want my body to be a healthy "billboard" on display.  After all, that's basically the way I feel.  People constantly judge me based on what I eat, what I wear, what I do....I never realized the microscope I was under or would be under in this profession when I started.  I am NOT perfect nor will I ever be.

Another thing that has taken some getting used to, is SOCIAL MEDIA!  I have never been one to WANT the spotlight.  In highschool, following a cross country meet, my friends would ask me how it went and I would always say, great!  Our team finished 1st, 2nd or whatever it was.  And then I would continue on.....Then they would ask....Ok so how did YOU do?  I'd tell them that I did well.  Then they would ask for further detail.........Ok, I won and broke the record.   I even feel weird posting this little conversation but I am trying to get my point across....posting on social media about myself or my success is tough as I don't want anyone to perceive me as being conceited, but I think personal stories can touch people so that's why I am doing this.

I am seeing that people really do pay attention to and feed off of social media.  My goal in my career is to help as many people that I possibly can!  Our HEALTH is our WEALTH!  Without good health, really what good is your life?  How much Joy can you squeeze out of it?  With this being said, I want to share this 21 day journey with you.  Prove to you that I do make several mistakes.  And to also let you know, that the word "SKINNY" is NOT a compliment to me.  Quite frankly, it irritates me because that word to me means that I am skin and bones, have no muscle definition, etc.  I work my tail off when I exercise.  I didn't just wake up with more muscle than fat.  Maintaining what I have is difficult.  Making good decisions the majority of the time...IS difficult!  Finding time in my schedule to workout, IS difficult!  NO I DO NOT WORKOUT WITH ALL MY CLIENTS.....I COACH THEM.  I TRAIN THEM.  THAT HOUR IS ABOUT THEM....NOT ME.  That is clearing the air for another common misconception out there in regards to trainers.

We all face problems.  We all deal differently with life, food, decisions and such.

If you are struggling with energy....with what to eat.....how to exercise.....give me a call or send me a message.  I do not have all the answers, but I have a lot of connections that probably do.  My motto in the Performance Lab is, "Defining YOU."

That is why I am here. To help YOU.  Help you DEFINE YOUR goals and who YOU want to be. That is why I want to help.  Women especially...we cannot do everything alone!  It is ok to have someone look after you too.  Sit down and review some personal goals...develop a plan of attack...and start kicking it in the tail!  YOU CAN succeed if you want to.  MAKING TIME AND NOT EXCUSES....will be the Key to your success.  I am here to help!

Stay tuned!....as the Journey continues.........

2 comments:

  1. Proud of you Shelly! You inspire us all to be better, feel better, live better... thank you for sharing your journey with us. (Now as one who might just be the unhealthiest eater in the world... we should talk dieting..)

    ReplyDelete